Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Moving mountains

I recently began a rapport with someone, incredible. I wont apply the pressure of saying he "inspires" me me. But I can say that he makes want to be a better version of myself. Occasionally the topic of mountains comes up. I can't help but see the beauty in that metaphor, as it applies to the human condition.

The most glorious lie ever told is that self belief is all you need. Society perpetuates the story of "The Little Engine That Could." - "I think I can, I think I can ..." It's a resounding untruth that is forced upon most of us. Especially, those of us who face any challenges.  Here's what we're not told: Self belief without actual application is just a dream, that will probably never come to fruition.

We are all standing before a mountain. Regardless of the size we are all staring directly at some mountain. And there we stand with all the faith and that we can get past this mountain. We believe we can. We have that faith someone or something will get us to the other side of this mountain. Some of us stand there and scream "Get out of my way!" Some of us get frustrated and emotionally cave to the grandeur of this thing before us. We doubt everything we thought about ourselves. Because we stand here believing in ourselves and in our abilities, but this mountain wont listen. We can't get it to move!

Here's the truth: This mountain can't move. It is a part of the earth, a formation that existed long before  we got here. We'll never be able to make it move, and we can't magically walk through it. The only way to the other side is to take the long trek up: become bruised, watch the calluses form and allow yourself to feel your grip to hold on. You'll most certainly feel the ache, and fatigue but you don't stop, because you know you'll fall and all the previous work will be for naught. And when you think you cannot make another move you realize you're at the top. From there you can scream to the world: "I am bruised, and I am tired, but I am now as strong as I BELIEVED I was. Then with very little effort you descend the other side. And there you stand seeing things unfolding that were previously blocked from view. Undoubtedly, there will be another mountain. It won't necessarily be any smaller, but will be far easier to climb. The strength, courage and endurance that blossomed inside you, as a result of that first uphill climb has set you up for the next one, and the one after that .... and thus success is achieved. And the world will look vastly different from the opposite side of every mountain you climb. So don't tire yourself out screaming, and begging for that mountain to move. Take  all you have right now, strap it to your back, grip tight and start climbing.  

No comments:

Post a Comment